• Unique Arctic wildlife: polar bears, walrus, reindeer • Polar desert exploration • Continuous daylight • Hiking • Zodiac cruising • Snowshoeing on select expeditions • Optional kayak adventure on select expeditions
If there is such a thing as a 'Classic Arctic' expedition cruise, this is it. This 11-day Quark itinerary is a bit more in-depth than our introduction itinerary, and you'll see all the best of the Spitsbergen archipelago by exploring the western edge of the island and venturing to some outlying northern areas, home to polar bears and walrus. You'll come across colonies of seabirds, numbering into the tens of thousands and watch for whales from the deck of the ship. Packed with options for snowshoeing and kayaking, this is the perfect expedition to explore the 'wildlife capital of the Arctic.'
Our Ship: Sea Adventurer Designed to carry travelers in comfort to the most remote corners of the world, Sea Adventurer was built in Yugoslavia in 1976, refurbished in 1999 and had further upgrades in 2002. You will be impressed by this ice-strengthened ship, which carries up to 117 passengers and features a spacious forward lounge and bar, window-lined dining room and promenades
Cabin '61 outside cabins with exterior views and en-suite facilities 'TV and DVD player in every cabin
Aboard 'Chef-prepared meals (all meals and daily snack included) 'One dining room with unreserved seating 'Bar staffed by a professional bartender '24 hour beverage service 'Polar Library with a large collection of polar books and DVDs 'Polar Boutique 'Multi-purpose lounge and presentation room 'Exercise Room 'Ship-to-shore satellite communications with email, and wireless, Internet access
Activities 'Zodiac Cruising (included) 'Hiking & snowshoeing (included) 'Optional kayaking (additional charge) 'Camping using high-quality REI camping equipment (additional charge)
Our Ship: Ocean Nova Your Expedition Ship Ocean Nova: Designed to carry travelers in comfort to the most remote corners of the world, Ocean Nova was built in Denmark. This ship delivers clean, crisp Scandinavian styling with a reputation as an excellent ship in the Polar regions. Ocean Nova's ice strengthened hull has enabled the ship to sail the ice-choked waters.
Cabin '38 outside cabins with exterior views and en-suite facilities 'Facilities en suite 'Flat-screen TVs and DVD players
Aboard 'Chef-prepared meals (all meals and daily snack included) 'Spacious dining room with unreserved seating 'Polar Library with a large collection of polar books and DVDs 'Glass-enclosed observation lounge and presentation room 'Bar staffed by a professional bartender '24 hour beverage service 'Polar Boutique 'Clinic, with onboard licensed doctor 'Exercise Room
Activities 'Zodiac Cruising (included) 'Optional kayaking on select voyages (additional charge) 'Hiking & snowshoeing (Special Interest Activity, included)
Day 1 - Embarkation Day in Longyearbyen Your Spitsbergen adventure begins when you board your ship in Longyearbyen, the island's largest settlement. As you embark, you'll get great views of the mountainous landscape that serves as a backdrop to this seaside settlement.
Days 2 to 10 - Exploring Spitsbergen We sail around this magical island, on a constant search for wildlife. Your expedition will cover western Spitsbergen as well as some stunning fjords and outlying islands to the north. From polar deserts to immense glaciers, the natural landscape here is just as varied as the wildlife.
Each expedition presents new opportunities, so we have no fixed itinerary, however we do have some favorite destinations, including 14th of July Glacier, Smeerenburg, Phippsoya, Alkhornet and the Hinlopen Straight.
The destinations visited on your voyage will be selected for optimum wildlife viewing and appreciation of the history and geology of Spitsbergen. Polar bear viewing is almost guaranteed, with Phippsoya being one of their preferred hunting areas and the towering cliffs of Alkefjellet providing many free bird egg meals for both them and the Arctic fox. Torellneset and Phippsoya are great places for walrus photography. Coming across a walrus haul-out is a moment you won't forget either. These lumbering giants of the Arctic create quite a noisy scene, as each walrus vies for a choice spot of coastline.
If you're itching to get a little closer to the action, then taking a sea-kayaking excursion to some of the more isolated pockets of Spitsbergen is highly recommended. Smeerenburg is a great place for an optional snowshoeing excursion (on selected voyages), as you can visit a memorial erected in 1906. This historical site remembers the whalers who lost their lives in the 17th and 18th centuries while working in extreme Arctic conditions.
There is no shortage of natural beauty in Spitsbergen. The tundra can be surprisingly colorful in summer, with wildflowers bursting for a taste of sunshine. Each day you'll see something new, whether it is a rare bird species or an abandoned hut from centuries ago.
Day 11 - Disembarkation Day in Longyearbyen The time to say goodbye has come. Your adventure ends as it began, in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here we'll transfer you to the airport for your flight home.
Important reminder: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy - and excitement - of expedition travel. When travelling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. The above is a tentative outline of what you'll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
• All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on board throughout your voyage
• All shore landings per the daily programme
• Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader
• A daily programme of lectures by noted naturalists
• All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily programme
• Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and Special Guests
• Photographic Journal on DVD, documenting the voyage
• A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings
• An official Quark Expeditions parka to keep
• Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
• Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin
• Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative
Arctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme • All luggage handling aboard ship • Arrival transfer from Longyearbyen airport to your hotel if you arrive one day prior to embarkation • On embarkation day transfer from your hotel or Longyearbyen airport to the ship • On disembarkation day group transfer from the ship to airport or local designated drop-off location • Emergency Evacuation Insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person
Pricing (per person) $USD
Departs 2015 Departures
26Jun'15-06Jul'15 - 'Sea Adventurer'
04Aug'15-15Aug'15 - 'Ocean Nova'
2015 Departures 26Jun'15-06Jul'15 - 'Sea Adventurer' 04Aug'15-15Aug'15 - 'Ocean Nova'
Not included • International airfare
• Passport and any applicable visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
• Any meals ashore with the exception of breakfast at the host hotel
• Baggage, cancellation, interruption, and medical travel insurance
• Excess baggage charges
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges
• Telecommunications charges
• The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Any overnight accommodation required due to flight connections
• Optional sea-kayaking activities
• International airfare • Passport and any applicable visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above • Any meals ashore with the exception of breakfast at the host hotel • Baggage, cancellation, interruption, and medical travel insurance • Excess baggage charges • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges • Telecommunications charges • The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew • Any overnight accommodation required due to flight connections • Optional sea-kayaking activities